Stray Dog Arts

WILD HORSE HEART {sneak peek} :: Recent Photographic Works by Jessie Marianiello

Artist's Statement:

"How strange that the nature of life is change, yet the nature of human beings is to resist change. And how ironic that the difficult time we fear might ruin us are the very ones that can break us open and help us blossom into who we're meant to be." ~Elizabeth Lesser

While in the midst of chaos and crisis (or even everyday life), it is easy to lose your footing. This past year, through the process of divorce, I most certainly lost mine. And yet, somehow, I managed (however haphazardly) to find my way towards some sort of balance between stillness and movement--it is both that I needed, after all. In the beginning, however, I was at times consumed by those horribly black nights when fear and uncertainty and more fear would grip me tighter than I had ever before known. Those were the darkest of times and it was in those moments I learned a very important question:

"What will make me feel better?"

The question would rise jaggedly into the night. And, each time, I was met with the same answer: "Horses." Strange, yes, I know. Horses were a stretch; they were not even a part of my day to day life. But some wise part of myself knew and understood. With the question came an answer and with the answer came an unquestionable space of relief. Over and over I followed myself to that open space. It was a space of healing. By night, I gave myself over to my horse-filled imagination. By day, I took both big and small steps to turn those imaginings into a reality.

A simple question led me to a simple answer that led me on a month long cross-country adventure. I was in search of wild horses and, in the process, I found myself. These images are a product of that adventure--an adventure that is still playing itself out. It seems strange to become so unexpectedly thankful for heartbreaks, but I am. I am thankful that my world fell apart and that it forced me to break open in order to find my truest, deepest rhythm once again. These horses are healers.

Currently, I am in the process of creating one of my largest solo exhibitions to date--and these photographic images are only the beginning. My future exhibition, Wild Horse Heart, will include both photographic and large-scale painted horse imagery. For now, I am honored to share a sneak peek of these first photographs with you. It is my hope that they will awaken your own wild horse heart. These horses have gifted me with grace, freedom, and immense healing. I hope they will do the same for you.

With a wild horse heart,
Jessie Marianiello, Stray Dog Arts

~
Showing exclusively at CorAzoN thru Feb 28th, 2012
(select pieces showing thru March 20th)
4646 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406
~

 





© 2009 Stray Dog Arts, All Rights Reserved