Stray Dog Arts

Ode's portrait

Ode--she is a brave spirit. So brave, in fact, that she changes every single person who comes in contact with her. Myself included. She is, after all, the one responsible for altering the mission of Stray Dog Arts.

Painting dogs has led me home (home, that is, to my truest self), but Ode is the one who opened up the heart of this home in a way that I was unable to imagine before her.

Ode, pronounced "O-Day," is Ojibwa for "heart"--and full of heart, she is! At 14 weeks old she was wandering with both of her ears burned off, scared, and in pain. Since that day, Ode has made an incredible recovery--not only physically, but emotionally as well. She is currently being fostered by in incredible family along with another puppy, Eve (who, I'm happy to say, we're adopting!).

Ode has opened up doors and windows and friendships and opportunities that have altered everything for me. This little pup who was horrifically abused and then abandoned has opened up my eyes to a whole new way of being. If there are angels on earth, then Ode is surely one of the most high spirited among them. Sweet Ode, what an incredible teacher she is.

This particular painting will be donated to a silent auction for Pet Haven's Fall Benefit. It is also the first painting in the series of many that will promote animal rescue efforts.

This is just the beginning....

* * *

Dear Ode,

Thank you for breaking me open.
Thank you for sparking an entire world of possibility.
Thank you for leading me to our new puppy, Eve.
Thank you for showing me that everything is possible.
Thank you for connecting me with Marilou and Pet Haven rescue.
Thank you for your rambunctious, bubble-loving energy.
Thank you for showing me that there is always hope.
Thank you for teaching me the importance of letting go.
Thank you for being a living example of bravery.
Thank you for changing the world, just by being you.
Thank you for teaching me how all of us can make the world better by simply being our truest self.
Thank you for helping me get over my self-doubt and fear over whether or not I will be successful.
Thank you for showing me another way of seeing.
Thank you for leading me to endeavors that support me--inside and out.
Thank you for being an inspiration.
Thank you for playing ball with me and jumping on me and showing me how you can run.
Thank you for helping me be a better person.
Thank you for bringing me to this place of open-hearted love.
Thank you for showing me that anything is possible when you BELIEVE.

Thank you for changing my life.
Ode, I love you.

your friend forever,
Jessie


*read more about Ode's story here and here.
**and you just MUST look at this photo of Ode with her best friend, Eve (aka. the new baby of our family). Now that's friendship. ;)

~

 





© 2009 Stray Dog Arts, All Rights Reserved